There’s an active local ramblers group, they head out every Sunday, and during the summer months they go out on a weekday evening too.
A friend suggested I go out with them…and a small part of me is tempted.
But a larger part of me is not so keen…for now at least!
I know I would benefit from their experience, their companionship, their knowledge and advice…I’d also get to walk in new places, see new sights, learn new things
However, I just don’t think I’m up to it yet.
- I want to be able to stop when I feel like it, either to catch my breath, or to look at some curiosity more closely.
- I want to be able to change my mind on what route we’re taking if I decide there’s something of interest ‘over there’ that I want to check out…
- …or if I think the route we were originally going to take doesn’t look as appealing/easy as it did on the OSI map I most probably spent the whole of the previous evening staring at (I *LOVE* maps and can spend hours reading them, just for fun!).
- I want to be able to walk at my own pace, and not feel that I have to keep up with others at a speed I’m not comfortable maintaining.
- I don’t want to feel embarrassed when my distinct lack of fitness makes me gasp for air at even a slight hint of an incline…
- …and I also heard a rumour that they don’t allow dogs, and that’s possibly the biggest no-no of them all!
Would welcome thoughts on whether to continue to go it alone (with the husband and a dog or two), or if its worthwhile hooking up with the local ramblers group?